Looking After Yourself
When there is a death, you may find the following helpful:
- Don’t rush into organising everything yourself.
- Accept support and help from family, counsellors and the community (for example, your church group or doctor).
- Call your funeral director for their support and direction.
- Talk about the life of the deceased. Share your experiences of them with others. Each person will have a different relationship and different stories to tell.
- Write your thoughts down in a journal.
- Encourage young children to write or draw their memories about the deceased. Give them photographs so they can make their own book.